Friday 15 August 2014

GoodnessMe Box August 2014

I love food. Seriously love food. This means I’m not so great at things like dieting, or going vegan, or even quitting sugar. There is always the remaining guilt though that “everyone else” manages to do these things while I fail miserably, part of which is from avoiding the preaching nature of health nuts (sorry Sis). Cue compromising with self. I figure that as long as I am incorporating some of each of those things I am being healthier than doing nothing at all and it’s a good step forward.

Enter GoodnessMe Box!

 
GoodnessMe Box is a food subscription box. Winner! But it is a bit different to what you might expect. All of the items placed into the box need to be at least two or more of the following: organic, sustainable, raw, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free or vegan. You receive a great variety as well. Everything from super greens, to coconut water, to chocolate. GoodnessMe say they will surprise you with 5 – 10 health food goodies in each box. Boxes on the month-to-month plan cost $25 each and can be given as gifts as well.



Products:

The Chia Co: Chia shots – Just about everyone has heard of Chia seeds. Little superfood balls that are amazing for you and can be used in a number of ways including to make pudding. These little guys come in individual sealed packets so are perfect for if you are travelling or on the go. I have a big pack of chia seeds open already but I am taking my monsters away in the September school holidays and this pack should be just enough for that.

Brookfarm: Gluten Free Porrij – This product was a single serve item (the actual product is huge) and is used basically the same way you make a quick oats sachet. But it’s made from things like amaranth, quinoa and flaxseed. Perfect item to put into a box delivered in Winter!

Nuzest: Clean Lean Protein Natural Protein Made Easy – This protein is made from 100% vegetable and is soy, gluten and dairy free. That means lots of people who might not usually be able to get protein powders have some more options. This is a product that not everyone might use though and clever Nuzest have thought of that. They have included two recipes on the card that these samples were attached to. Genius!

The Sugar Break Up: Organic Golden Rice Malt Syrup – I did not know this product existed! It is a natural sweetener that is fructose free and also has no gluten, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives on its label. My Aunt mentioned she had quit sugar and fructose months ago and I thought her food life was over. She’s a super smart lady though and I reckon she would have known about a product like this. I do wonder though, would this be kind of cheating?

The Carob Kitchen: Mint Banjo Bear – Ah yes carob. It’s a bit of a dirty word to chocolate lovers. But nevertheless I decided to try this product as it had no added sugar and is gluten free. Not to mention mint flavouring and a teddy shape. I didn’t enjoy it. I love raw chocolate or chocolate that doesn’t include milk solids. It was pretty close though to sugar free chocolate. I tried it, I then inflicted it on my best friend, once we both gave up my son got it. Guess what. He loved it. Findings of experiment: Mummy and She are chocolate snobs, Kiki not so much.

Madame Flavour: Lemongrass Lime Ginger, Mint Lavender, and Raspberry Hibiscus Tea – Madame flavour teas are great, they are a little bit fancy but still very accessible as the major supermarkets stock them. I usually have the white tea with rose flavour and hadn’t tried any of these flavours before. Also pretty generous to get 3 different flavours but consider it to be 1 product on the info card. Unheard of for a lot of companies, kudos to GoodnessMe. Note – if you aren’t a ginger fan (I’m not at all) you probably won’t enjoy that one.

 
Good Food For Me: $10 Voucher – This Company is an online health store that is all about organic, natural, non-processed products and no refined sugars. They say they stock leading brands of natural and organic health foods and beauty products but I was pleased that when I had a look around the site there were things I had never seen before.

Charlies Balls: Clean Treats – It’s all the name really! I just want to start with how delicious they were. They were really very tasty. These are not unlike bliss balls or the kinds you find elsewhere and Charlie (who is actually a lady) likes to be able to focus on making them gluten, dairy, refined sugar and preservative free. The flavour I had was Chocolate Nut and contained; almonds, dates, coconut water, dutch cocoa and vanilla. These ingredients come together wonderfully. I should also add Charlie has peanut butter and choc brownie balls as well!

Overall

I love this box. It had foods I will eat, and included recipes on the info card and in the Nuzest packaging for ideas on how to use the products. So not only is this company saying, “Hey eat these things they’re good for you”, they’re also saying “Here is how you do it just in case you think you’ll get away with just stashing them in the cupboard”. Apparently they knew I would be ordering?

I can understand why some people might think that a box like this is for seasoned “wellness warriors” but I have to say just about anyone would be able to open one of these boxes and go for it. You know what, you might HATE carob, but at least you’ve given it a go. The texture of soaked chia seeds may remind you of frog’s eggs, but you still tried it just once.

Are you a wellness warrior? Do you already subscribe to GoodnessMe? Would you try any of these products? Have you inflicted carob on your friends and family? Perhaps you’re actually a massive fan of soaked chia seeds? Perhaps you also would like to try Charlie’s balls? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment