Thursday 25 September 2014

GoodnessMe Box September 2014


Yay! Another GoodnessMe Box! How I love these J

If you haven’t heard of GoodnessMe box before it is a monthly food subscription box service with a healthy twist. All of the items placed into the box need to be at least two or more of the following: organic, sustainable, raw, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free or vegan. There are 5 – 10 health food goodies in each box and also recipe cards for ideas on how to use them. For more info you can go to the website here.

 
 
This month’s box had a few items I have actually wanted to try for a little while so I was stoked to see them in the box.

Brookfarm Entertainer Brothers Blend 75g (rrp $4.95)
Last month when I got the Brookfarm Porrij I answered a survey asking if there are other Brookfarm products I’d like to try and I picked this one. Talk about a quick turnaround! The maple syrup and salt flavours mix nicely together and I found myself picking out my favourites; almonds, macadamias and pepitas; and eating those first. I really enjoyed these and my sister has also recommended the Walkabout Mix so that might be next!


Meko Coconut Water 310ml (rrp $3)
Coconut water isn’t something I use all the time but it has made me learn about new things, such as how to freeze it so that the tetra packs don’t go off in my fridge! Turns out I was doing it wrong (novel idea I know) but I shouldn’t have been buying them in the 1L packs, I should have been purchasing them the size of this Meko can. Or smaller. Depending on whether I am making something to share or not. Good thing I don’t feel completely silly now.

 
Cocolife Coconut Oil Spray 150g (rrp $8.95)
Oil sprays are so very handy, I am particularly looking forward to using them instead of olive oil spray when baking. I find olive oil spray leaves a bit of a taste. You aren’t supposed to have any taste with Coconut Oil Spray but even if you did a light coconut taste isn’t a bad thing!


Leda Nutrition Banana Leda Bar 80g (rrp $1.90)
These remind me of the baked snack bars that you can get in vending machines. I spoke to my nutritionist who said they are very similar but with less added sugar and more fibre. So if you have an addiction to the big block snack bars from vending machines (my older sister I’m looking at you!) then perhaps this item would be a good one to swap it with. They also come in other flavours if the idea of a Banana bar grosses you out but I cut this into pieces and fed it to my sister, hubby and eldest son who all enjoyed it. I cut it into 8 and I’m quite sure my son ended up with almost half the bar. It’s a good thing it’s full of healthy things!


Yousli Gluten Freedom 500g (rrp $14.95)
Oh my GoodnessMe!!! This is the most amazing muesli I have ever tried! Never thought I would get so excited over muesli or something that was particularly gluten free because that isn’t a big deal to me but this is seriously good. I mixed it with some berry greek yoghurt and absolutely went to town. It was only a “single” serving but I don’t eat a lot and I found that because I was mixing it with the yoghurt I was able to get a few uses out of the packet.
Would I buy it again? Actually I already have. I’m not kidding it really is THAT good!

 
Natvia Natural Sweetner 4 x 2g sticks (rrp $4.99)
Everyone has heard about stevia and how it’s a natural sweetener so having some single serve Natvia sachets is handy for when travelling or even if you have someone come over you doesn’t like plain old sugar. I am a sugar girl but I will occasionally use Stevia just to change it up a bit. I like to live on the edge…….


Artisana Nut and Seed Butters 30.5g (rrp $3.95)
Aha! I didn’t even know you could get this product in Australia! I have had no end of trouble trying to find it……. Spoke to my local health food store and they have just started stocking it. I got the Coconut Butter and you may wonder what is so special about this product and I blame food blogger Chocolate Covered Katie. I am not vegan (Katie is) but I do enjoy everything I make from her blog. Often when an item does need to be chocolate coated she will use the Artisana butter when making it up. I now have the chance to do that myself. Um YAY!

 
Kokopod Chocolate Smoky Black Bar 100g (rrp $10)
I’ll admit I really wasn’t sure whether I would enjoy this or not. I’m not a fan of all the salted caramel stuff going around and I did have a bit of an internal groan when I saw someone put salt on chocolate. HOWEVER! The salt taste is very mild and only when you first put the chocolate in your mouth, everything after that is rich dark chocolatey goodness. I was set to be disappointed by this product but in the end was pleasantly surprised. Chocolate – overcoming any barriers to continue being awesome!



The Beauty Chef Glow $20 Voucher
150g product retails for $59.95
I did a fair bit of reading about this product because even with the voucher there is still a $40 outlay (not including shipping). There are both good and bad comments but kudos to The Beauty Chef for actually allowing the less positive reviews to be posted on their website. I have seen far too many companies being very selective with what is displayed on their sites and it can lead to disappointed customers (i.e. ME!)
Pros: Really good for you
Cons: Gritty texture
Given that I have vital greens and magnesium powder almost every day I am kind of used to having a gritty texture so I have decided to bite the bullet and give this product a go. Maybe I will alternate it and my greens so that I’m not looking at something green every morning. I’m not expecting miracles but every little bit of extra goodness helps right?

BONUS GIFT RosehipPlus Rosehip Oil Roll-on 15ml (rrp $14.95)
*Not a food item but a great added bonus instead*
I’ve been hearing all the good things about Rosehip Oil for a while now but had so far not tried it. Quite a number of brands are stocking similar products and the plain oils seems to be the most popular. I’ve heard it can do amazing things for scars, acne, psoriasis etc. I can tell you it’s good for your cuticles? Don’t yell at me but that seemed like a good place to test it out the first time. So if you don’t have a nail oil but you have some Rosehip Oil lying around don’t be shy give it a go.


Overall

Despite being very open about not being a health nut I do really love these boxes. I get really excited when they arrive mainly because it’s food and there is always something ready to eat as soon as you open the box. Even if you don’t love that one item there is still something in there screaming “EAT ME!” the minute you open the box. Maybe that’s just me though?
Have you tried GoodnessMe? Are you a Coco-Nut? Do you get excited at the option of making your own muesli with someone else doing the actual hard work? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment